Thursday, April 21, 2011

Microbes Rule the Universe

You know what? I love microorganisms. Almost as much as I love soap. No- scratch that- I love them more than soap. *Unknown and essentially nonexistent web audience gasps* YES, my virtual imaginary friends! It is true!

....would you like to know why? Of course! Well, I'll tell you!

Microorganisms rule the world.
Really, they do. Think about all the microorganisms that surround you right now. Touch your table-top- they are there. Yes! There! You can't see them, of course, but they have you cornered. Take a deep breath. AHA! They've infiltrated your body! In fact, they were already there. YES! Even there! A microscopic zoo inhabits our stomachs, our eyes and ears, our lungs, our armpits, OUR MOUTHS! Especially our mouths. And especially American mouths. Canadians might not have to worry so much.

By sheer numbers alone, microscopic organisms have the universe in their grip, and they'd be hard pressed to turn it over to any other life-form. We don't have to worry, though, because these microbes are benign dictators (hurrah!) Did you know that 99% of microbes are beneficial for the environment and the Homo Sapien? And Homo Sacers, come to think of it- though the unfortunate Homo Sapiens they may be if there are any Roman microbes around crack the whip. Yes- 99%! Surprising isn't it? You've got just about every bacteria, fungus, algae, archaean, protozoan and virus out there contributing to the quality of your human life! They help us digest, treat sewage, they even make us spam! Glorious SPAM!

Yet they always get the bad rap. Yes, yes- it is true that microbes are also to blame for Cholera, HIV, Measles, Mumps and Athlete's foot, but when you weigh the negative impacts of those 1% against the positive impacts of those 99%, you begin to understand how lovely and important these little creatures are to our livelihood. This is just part of the reason why I love the little guys.

The larger, more consuming passion for those minuscule millions stems from the symmetry microbes create within the universe. I love knowing that as I swipe my hand through the air, billions of organisms are finding a new home on my limb or angrily shouting "Home-wrecker!" as I displace them from their habitat. I love how they are all around us, in everything we see. I love knowing that, even when I am my most alone and removed from the world, I've got a microscopic city at the tip of my finger, full of other living, energy-filled organisms.

And, really, who wouldn't want a billion microscopic friends? They're the kings of the universe!

I've got friends in high places, buddy.
-M

P.S. In hopes of spreading the microbe love, here's some micro-graphs of my favorite little friends. They come in pretty colors.









1 comment:

  1. I enjoy how, between your love for microbes and soap, you choose microbes. You sound like an eight-year-old boy... "I don't wanna bath!"

    I loved the part about having friends on every fingertip.

    ReplyDelete